- David Cox provides his progression through three ways of handling equations with students.
- Undoing the steps (i.e. backtracking) provides a lot of good intuitions for students, and the technique connects to work in expressions and finding inverse functions.
- Guess-Check-Generalize is powerful, and I see it being exercised with a good 3 Act problem. Maybe this one.
- Here’s an idea for an activity that turns the equation-solving process backwards.
Still looking for:
- Some good 3 Acts problems
- A sense of how to deliberately connect this topic to probability, statistics, previous stuff, quadratic equations and absolute value equations.
- I need some help with literal equations. Kids have a lot of trouble with them – how can I help?